Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Next Episode

Okay, when I left the story before, I had just lost my job, and was still getting promises from my (ex) roommate that she would pay bills and help me out as I looked for a new roommate. I got a new job 2 days after I lost the first, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I had a good lead on a better job, so I left the new job to pursue this one.

Something I hadn't mentioned yet, during all of this I was discovering that she had transferred all of the utilities into my name without my knowledge. I asked her about it and she said that the companies had let her when she said we were both on the mortgage. When I talked to the utility companies, they said that only I, with my social security number could have changed them.

At this point, it had become obvious to me that :

1. I could not find a new roommate.
2. I sure couldn't afford the house on my own.

I called the mortgage company and asked them what I could do. They recommended a short sale, but said I would have to have her signature to do it. She was not answering calls or emails. I sent her an email asking her to take responsibility and work with me to dispose of the condo. I received an email in return that was full of venom. In it she told me that everything was my fault and that every bad thing that had happened to her in the 7 years we lived together was due to me. It also said, however that she would be glad to do the short sale.

I moved in with Jason. I had the condo cleaned. I started the short sale paperwork. The condo was empty. Soon, I begin to get "final notices" for utilities and home owner's association dues that had not been paid. I pad them all. I settled a lawsuit from the home owner's association. These were not the utilities in my name, but the ones in hers from when we were both living there.

Pretty soon, I got that new job I was hoping for. I started teaching preschool at a daycare. I liked it, but it was hard work, with no recognition, and little support from administration. The ex-roommate came through with a signature on the quitclaim deed that the mortgage company told me I would need to pursue the short sale on my own. I sent in all of the paperwork for the short sale. I had to get counseling to send in the short sale paperwork, and the counselor thought everything would go well, as long as there were no liens on the property. I assured her that if there were, I would surely know about them. Everything was on track. Then in February, there was a sticker on my door, asking me to go pick up some certified mail.

1 comment:

feefers said...

it's like a miniseries. i want the next episode!